The unofficial start of summer – Memorial Day – has passed, the kids are out of school and the season of vacations, grilling and pools is upon us! If you’d like to give your home a summery feel without a total design overhaul, we’ve got a few simple suggestions. Before you know it, your home will feel as “summery” as the great outdoors, but without the heat and the bugs!
Here are our top tips for adding the feel of summer to your Southern Sabal home:
1) Change your artwork – Got spring flowers on the wall? Why not switch to a painting of the sea or a nautical element like a lighthouse, seagull or seashell. Another fun addition is to blow up a picture of your family on vacation and have it mounted on canvas. Personalized artwork, quick!
2) Switch up accessories – Take out those deep-hued pillows, vases and blankets. Add some white or pastel pillows, a bowl of shells you collected at Isle of Palms, and a lamp shade with a striped nautical print.
3) Use a slipcover – Give your furniture an entirely new look with a slipcover. Try a lightweight, but durable material.
4) Pile up the books – Pick a few books that remind you of summer and stack them on the coffee table, side tables or nightstands. Not only will they look summery, but if you pick them up to read, you’ll be transported right back to summers past! A family vacation photo album of a warm-weather destination can also be a great addition and guests will enjoy looking through it.
5) Redo the rugs – Switch out your Oriental rug for a Sisal rug for an instant touch of summer!
6) Add a rattan table – Rattan is another reminder of summer and brings a natural look into your home. You can also bring in a few wicker items, especially on a screen porch or sunroom, for an outdoorsy feel.
7) Put out new bedspreads – Choose lighter weight quilts in nautical or pastel colors to bring to mind the season.
What reminds you most of summer? How do you make it feel like summer inside your Sabal home? Share some photos with us of your summery homes on our Facebook page.
For more information about building new homes in the Lowcountry, visit www.sabalhomessc.com or give us a call at 843-388-8483.