Do you know your neighbor? The days of knowing everyone who lives on your block may not be as common as they used to be. If you don’t know your neighbors (or at least not all of them) in your Charleston neighborhood, we’ve got some tips to help break the ice:
- Get a dog – While you need to be sure you’re ready for the full responsibility that comes with owning a dog, being a dog owner can be just the ticket for helping you get to know your neighbors. Many people start chatting while out walking their dogs and you’re getting some fresh air and exercise to boot!
- Roll out the welcome mat – Whenever someone new moves into your Charleston neighborhood, be sure to greet them warmly. Bake them a batch of cookies or your favorite treat and hand-deliver them. Bring the kids along and introduce everyone, as they just may find a new playmate.
- Organize a play date – Speaking of kids, they can really help you break the ice with a neighbor who also has children. Invite their child over to your house to play. Not only will the parent appreciate the free time, you’ll likely have time to talk during pick-up and drop-off.
- Plan a garage sale – Nothing bonds a community like a garage sale! Pass out flyers asking who would like to participate, then select a day and time. No doubt you’ll be chatting between customers and another family may join you to help with planning.
- Ask to borrow something – Need a ladder, tool or a cup of flour? Ask the neighbor before heading out to the store! They’ll probably be happy to oblige and you’ll have a chance to meet someone new. Just remember to return the favor!
To promote the art of neighborliness, Sabal Homes is hosting a fun contest that encourages you to share why you’re thankful for your neighbor. Whether they pick up your mail when you’re out of town or send cookies to your family every Christmas, tag their name on Facebook, tell us why you are thankful for them AND like our Facebook page and you could EACH win a $50 AMEX gift card in time for Black Friday! Contest ends Friday, 11/21 at 12 p.m. Good luck!
For more information about building a new Charleston home, visit www.SabalHomesSC.com or call 843-830-0158.