We can’t believe July 4 is already gone, and summer is half over! So let’s celebrate the joys of summer in the south before Labor Day rolls around, school’s back in session and we’re all back to our regular schedules.
Here are 5 reasons we love summertime in the south (in fact, there just might be no better place to enjoy summer!):
1) The Beach – With beaches just minutes away from most of our Lowcountry communities, getting out on the water is a major plus of living in the south. Is there anything better than laying down a towel, pulling out a beach read and wasting the day away as the waves roll in and out? If you’re a more active type, there are all range of water sports available from surfing and swimming to paddleboarding and skimboarding. What’s your favorite way to spend a day at the beach?
2) Porches – Lots of our new Charleston homes come with porches. Why? Because of summertime! Southerners love to sit on their front porch with a glass of sweet tea greeting the neighbors as they walk by. In fact, we’d dare say some of the best friendships are made on a front porch!
3) Shrimp – Summer means shrimp season in the Lowcountry. Local restaurants have plenty of locally-caught shrimp available on their menus, and you can also buy it directly from the shrimpers yourselves. Fried, grilled, sautéed or boiled, shrimp is yummy – however you make it!
4) Peaches – Another summer food the south is famous for are peaches. You may think of Georgia as the peach state, but South Carolina comes in a close second. Peach ice cream, mojitos, tea and pie, there are so many ways to eat peaches! Shop local farmers markets for the freshest varities.
5) Fashion – We have our own unique sense of style here in the south, especially in the summer. Generally casual, we love swishy skirts, fab sunglasses, interesting hats and of course the classic bowtie and seersucker suit for men. Oh, did we mention flip flops? It’s a staple of any Southern wardrobe! Southern Tide apparel perfectly expresses Southern style if you’re looking to update your wardrobe.
What are your favorite things about summer in the south? Weigh in below in the comments or share your thoughts on our Facebook page!
For more information about new Charleston homes, visit www.sabalhomessc.com or call us at 843-388-8483.